A. Write the complete sentence by completing the verb tense in passive.
Example: The printer (plug in).
Answer: The printer was plugged in.
1. A new card (add) to the expansion slot last month.
2. The voltage in the computer (regulate) to a suitable amount by a hardware called power supply.
3. Staff reports (print) every month.
4. Over 5,000 computers (sell) by our company every year.
5. All the possible causes (study) by the IT team.
B. Change the following sentences to passive
Example: We consider the keyboard a peripheral.
Answer: The keyboard is considered a peripheral.
6. We update our system every year.
7. The computer stored the data on a memory chip.
8. To install the programme, we need more memory space.
9. The computer and software programmes send instructions to the the processor.
10. Ahmed printed the report this morning and sent it to the manager.
C. Rewrite using passive or active voice, past simple or present as needed to complete the sentence correctly. Write the full sentence, not only the verb.
Examples: The technician __________ (fix) the computer twice last week.
Answer: The technician fixed the computer twice last week. [why: the subject is the agent--> active voice; last week: past simple]
The computer _______ (fix) twice last week.
Answer: The computer was fixed twice last week. [why: the subject is NOT the agent: passive voice; last week: past simple]
The technician _____ (fix) the computers whenever there is a problem.
Answer: The technician fixes the computers whenever there is a problem. [why: the subject is the agent: active voice; the verb describes a routine: present simple]
The computers ________ (fix) by the technician immediately when there is a problem.
Answer: The computers are fixed by the technician immediately when there is a problem. [why: the subject is NOT the agent: passive voice; the verb describes a routine: present simple; computers is plural: 'are']
11. The system ______ (need) updating.
12. An update of the system_______ (need).
13. We ______ (buy) a new printer and a new USP two days ago.
15. More than 5,000 laptops ______ (send) back to the manufacturer last month due to a manufacturing error.
16. We ________ (invite) a famous speaker to the conference. I hope he comes.
17. In 2011, Khalifa _______ (invite) to a conference in France to present his project.
18. I ________ (send) the results of my project to the company and they were very grateful.
19. A new hospital _______ (build) in Bahrain six years ago.
20. The data _______ (show) that there is a significant relationship between hours spent watching TV and sleep disorder.
II. PRONOUN REFERENCE
Read the short article below and then write to which each underlined pronoun refers?
Bebler Announces the Significance of Information Security in Social Media
By Nathan Ernest Olupot -
March 21, 2016
Bebler, one of the world’s leading private social network app developers, released its statement with regards to the disturbing behavior of the large majority of social media users who opt to share too much personal information in social networking platforms. The company doesn’t condemn the act of many social media addicts; however, they remind social media users with the negative outcome of posting personal information for the public to view.
The arrival of Internet and social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, offers a handful of benefits for the users, but it also opens up a wide range of adverse effects that can wreak havoc the lives of the users. Moreover, the information shared by the social media users is gathered by some people to commit several crimes, like identity theft, phishing/spoofing, blackmail and hacking.
To what/whom do the underlined pronouns refer?