top of page
Theme 2: Writing a Procedure Paragraph Checklist
1. One paragraph. No numbers, no bullet points.
2. Sentences start with a capital letter and end with a full stop
3. Each sentence contains a verb
All verbs are in the past tense
Passive voice (was +V3 or were + V3) is used if the agent is the researcher/writer;
active voice is used elsewhere (one word, -ed or irregular)
4. Numbers: in letters if 10 or less or if followed by a measuring unit; figures if more than 10.
5. Dates: do you need in, on, from ... to?
6. Proper names of people, names of places, companies or departments: capital initial
7. When writing the steps, use 'then' or 'Next' or 'After that' one or two times where suitable.
8. Check that you did not forget -s of plural words!
bottom of page